There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Begining of the Story Or: How I Fell in Love with Figment

Two tiny wings
Eyes big and yellow
Horns of a steer
What a lovable fellow!
(from the Journey Into the Imagination ride [R.I.P.] -- EPCOT)

I have always been fascinated with the idea of Disney World. As a child, I knew several lucky kids who went there on their birthday. I always wanted to go too, but my love affair with Disney really started when I saw Figment for the first time.

I was a volunteer EMT in a small town in Connecticut, and a fellow EMT named Jeff found out about my Disney fascination. He invited me over one evening and he and his wife, both Disney fans, showed me their Disney photo albums. They had made several trips to Disney World, and had great photos.

“Hey, what’s that?” I asked. It was a very cool-looking critter, purple, little wings, very cute. (It’s hard to believe now there was a time I knew next to nothing about Disney aside from the movies and cartoons.)

“That’s a figment of your imagination,” Jeff smirked.

I looked at him, trying to decide if he was pulling my leg, and he took pity on me and told me about the Journey into the Imagination ride, starring Figment.

I was in love with a purple dragon-like creature. I had to go see Figment in person. And a Disneyholic was born.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this, Dee! Hope you write lots more Disney stuff. I'm in the Blogging 101 class. Haven't written anything yet. Maybe tonight when I get off the road. Thanks for writing and inspiring me to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee,
    Great blog! I'm a Disney nut too, although probably not to your extent. :-) I live about 2.5 hours away from the World and visit as often as I can. I like the voice of your blog and the varied kinds of posts.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
When not planning my next Walt Disney World vacation, I write about medicine and science for various publications. I'm a bookworm and have recently fallen in love with knitting. I am owned by 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a 12 year old son who loves Disney as much as I do.